- View the City of Melbourne signs & advertising ordinance.
- Permits are required for ground, building, mural or portable signs prior to installation. Fees are $1 per square foot of sign area plus permit costs.
- Permits are obtained from the Code Compliance Division located on the second floor of City Hall.
- Electronic message signs are permitted on arterial roadways only. The message must be displayed for a minimum of 8 seconds and cannot fade in/out nor scroll between changes.
- Portable signs are permitted 14 consecutive days, twice in any one calendar year. A sign permit is required for each separate 14 day period and costs $52.
- Temporary signs in a window or in a service bay door opening are limited to one (1) window or service bay and shall not exceed 10% coverage of that window or service bay door opening.
- Signs, murals, building color, fencing or any other exterior change or addition to properties located within a redevelopment area will require a pre-approval from the Architectural Review Board
- Properties in the Eau Gallie Art Overlay Zone should contact Planning and Zoning for special sign requirements.
- Contact Code Compliance Division at (321) 608-7905 for any additional questions.
Every business with frontage of 50 – 99 feet is permitted to have one ground sign of up to 50 square feet. Properties with 100 – 599 linear feet can have a ground sign of up to 72 square feet. Two ground signs are allowed with at least 600 feet of street frontage and 3 ground signs with 1500 or more feet of street frontage. All are limited to 12 feet in height. Multiple ground signs may be allowed to be larger and will need an individual review. In addition you may have up to 10 building signs with the total building signage not to exceed 10 % of the largest wall or a maximum of 300 sq ft. Signs may be placed on any exterior wall for the business. The size, location and quantity are based on the design of the building and each sign requires individual reviews and permits.
- Permits are required prior to painting a mural.
- One (1) mural is permitted for a commercial business and is in addition to the building sign allotment. Murals must obtain a sign permit prior to erection.
- Mural is limited to no more that 10% of the wall area or 300 sq ft, whichever is the lesser.
- Text or lettering shall not exceed 10% of the mural area.
- Downtown Eau Gallie and Downtown Melbourne areas can have up to one entire wall as a mural and must first obtain Architectural Review Board approval. Applications can be made through Planning and Economic Development Department: (321) 608-7511.
Special Activity Permits
This permit is available at the City Clerk’s office and is used to allow outdoor activities which include the use of signs, tents, sound equipment, electrical devices, outdoor displays, outdoor sales and advertising. It is also used for a Grand Opening Event. Signs in the Right-of-Way and balloons are no longer permitted while large inflatable shapes are allowed on site. Fees begin at $25. if applied for at least 10 business days in advance. Please check on line or with the City Clerk’s office at (321) 608-7222 for application and fee.
Temporary Non-commercial Signs (Political, Not-for-Profit, Etc):
Signs are not permitted within the Rights-of-Way. These type signs may now be placed on any commercial property without a permit with the business owner’s permission and must adhere to the following:
- Must be on private commercial property
- Placed/located 10 ft back from property line
- 8 ft height limitation
- Removed within 5 days after event
- Total size of temporary, on-site, non-commercial signs cannot exceed 72 sq ft.
Four flags are permitted per site. A flag now includes one made of fabric type of material which hangs limply or drooping when secured from a flexible rod or pole, commonly known as wind/feather signs. Flags may only be flown from a flag pole or from a flexible rod or pole. Flag poles may be ground or roof mounted and a permit must be obtained to ensure design safety from wind loads. All flags must be set back 10 feet from the property line and are limited to 12 feet in height. Taller flag poles are permitted depending on setback and zoning. Note: multi-tenant sites are only permitted a total of 4 flags for the site, not 4 flags per business.