An animal permit is required for animals (except for domestic dogs and cats), reptiles, or fowl that are kept outside of a residence.
An animal permit will not be issued for animals/reptiles regulated by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or any other permitting agency. Additionally, animal permits will not be issued for roosters unless there is something unique about the property (acreage, location, etc.).
In order to apply for an animal permit, you must be the property owner or have permission from the property owner. In addition to any conditions that are made part of an animal permit, you will be responsible for complying with applicable homeowners’ association rules and regulations. Prior to issuance of an animal permit, an inspection must be performed by a Code Enforcement Inspector. After all conditions have been met and a satisfactory inspection has been completed, an animal permit will be issued.
The following guidelines will assist you in preparing a home for your pet:
- If you are using an animal structure (chicken coop, rabbit cage, pig enclosure, etc.), it must be in place prior to submitting an animal permit application. An animal structure must meet the setback requirements for an accessory structure of five (5) feet from the side neighbor and ten (10) feet from the rear neighbor. Animal structures may not be located in the front yard. If the animal structure is larger than one hundred (100) square feet or higher than six (6) feet a building permit for an accessory structure will be required from the City of Melbourne Code Compliance Division.
- The number of animals permitted will be based on the zoning district, lot size, and usable lot area.
- Animal feed must be stored in a sealed container to prevent access by rodents, insects, and wildlife.
- Animals that are permitted by an animal permit may not be used for commercial purposes. An animal permit application will automatically expire if an inspection has not been conducted by the City within thirty (30) days of receipt of the application.
- An animal permit is effective for two years from the date of issuance. During that period, the permit may be revoked if the animals are not being taken care of properly, permit conditions are not being met, or the City has received complaints of odor, noise, feces, or animals running at large.
Apply for an Animal Permit
To apply for an animal permit, download and complete the Animal Permit Application and return it to the
City Clerk’s Office
City Hall, 5th Floor
900 E. Strawbridge Ave.
Melbourne, FL 32901